Tuesday, April 3, 2012

I Think I Feel Too Much

Last night I watched "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close". I made sure I finished the book before I watched the movie. It took me 2 days of bus/LRT rides and waits, plus a few additional hours before sleep and one at Tropicana Mall (with a cup of Taiwanese drink). Yay! I love Foer's writing; it also made me think ... a lot.

Then I watched the movie. It was a good attempt, though I understand that it is impossible to fit all the stories from the book within limited time frame. I was actually wondering how they would show flashbacks of Thomas Schell's younger days, why he left the family, why he came back. They even took out the whole chunk (when he met Oskar's grandmother, how they got together, the letters he wrote to his son, etc) from the script and added the final scene which was not in the book. In that light, I did not really enjoy the movie. But as I said, it was a good attempt.

After the movie, I spent hours reading on 9/11 - again. Similar to the assassination of Osama bin Laden, after the whole 'terrorist attacking the WTC', there was not much explanation (of questions asked) or information revealed to the public aside from all that's broadcast and published by (government-controlled) mass media. If you do some research, you will understand. Anyway. I stopped reading and started watching videos and browsing through photos. There are only a few 'original' footages online (from NY-ers who were near the WTC and recorded the whole incident, yet it was still edited slightly). And I came across this video footage of people jumping/falling off from 100+ stories and a close-up footage of their bodies on the ground! It gave me nightmares. Seriously.

Sometimes I wish I wasn't so curious. Sometimes, finding out the truth can be lethal, emotionally damaging, especially when you learn that the truth has caused the lives of thousands of people, even if those are the thousands that you are not acquainted to.

*changing topic*

So, over the weekend, I climbed Broga Hill with my high school mates. We are trying to organise monthly meetup/activities. There are maybe slightly more than a handful of events/things that will make me jump out of bed feeling all fresh at 4-in the morning. Hiking is one of them.

The climb was easy, but I had slight difficulty due to my bag hung loosely on my shoulder. Reminder: bring only a small pouch/carry-on next time.



Photo from J.Bon

And I attempted a Third Arabesque on top of the world (on a sloped rock), and came down to the MJ-slanting pose

 

All photos from Jared, except stated

No comments:

Post a Comment